Monthly Archives: February 2014
February 21, 2014
Just a few weeks ago I doubt I could have correctly pinpointed Hungary on a map. Now, suddenly, I am hungry to learn all I can about Hungary! The more I learn, the more excited I am to serve. Here are some interesting facts about the Church in Hungary:
- In June 1988, Hungary granted legal recognition to the LDS Church, permitting the commencement of missionary work among its citizens.
- Hungary’s first meetinghouse was dedicated in October, 1989, by President Thomas S. Monson, who was then a counselor in the First Presidency.
- The Hungary Mission was created in June 1990.
- In 1991, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed in Budapest to an enthusiastic audience that gave the choir eight curtain calls.
- In 1991, the Hungarian edition of the Book of Mormon was released.
- The Hungarian edition of the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price was released in 1995.
- In 2005, the triple combination became available for the more than 14.5 million Hungarian speakers scattered throughout Hungary and 10 other countries in Central Europe.
- The Freiberg Germany Temple is the closest to the members in Hungary.
- There is currently one stake and one mission in Hungary, with about 100 missionaries currently serving.
- There are 22 congregations and 6 family history centers in operation.
- The main religion in Hungary is Roman Catholic, along with Calvinism and atheism.
- The population of Hungary is over 9.9 million, with over 1.7 million living in Budapest alone.
- There are currently 4,940 member of the Church in Hungary (so you can see we have a lot of work to do).
February 12, 2014
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I’m a really picky eater. So, I was quite nervous to find out what I’d be having to eat for the next year and a half. I know that with the help of the Lord, I will be able to eat like a champ! Here are Hungary’s most popular dishes from dinner to dessert. Enjoy!